Noob Question(s)

edited October 2011 in General discussions
This is my first post here, so I might as well ask these questions here. Firstly, I have the 2010 Professional Version of MS Visual Studios on my laptop, hence I was wondering, looking at all the available downloads, which one(s) I would need. I'll have to get my hands on the Android SDK and NDK, but, as far as ORX is concerned, which specific downloads will I need? And other than these three or so items, will I need to get my hands on anything else? Also, as a fan of old school 2D scroll games, such as the MegaMan Series and Super Mario Brothers, I'd live to create something similar, based off of some ideas of mine. As far as I've seen, I could do this with ORX...is this the case? Thanks in advance and I appreciate the help, as I am new to this.

See ya on the flipside,

Desh2350

Comments

• edited October 2011
    Hi Desh2350 and welcome here!

As far as orx is concerned, you need the dev package adapted to your platform. So if you want to develop for Android you'll need the Android package, same for visual 2010.
    However there's a small problem in that case: as I don't have visual 2010 myself I coulnd't release a package for it. However the project files have been maintained by Grey on the SVN so I encourage you to sync orx from the latest SVN version on sourceforge.
    Even if you wanted to work with another development environment I would still advise you to use the latest version from the SVN as a lot of fixes and improvements have been added since the latest release (especially for iPhone and Android).

When you sync orx (sync the trunk folder so as to not get all the branches that will be useless for you), it'll compile out of the box, all the dependencies will already be there and precompiled. You simply need to open the project file in the folder /code/build/msvs2010 and select one of the embedded dynamic config (release, profile or debug).

When you have compiled orx this way, you won't need any extra if you target windows, linux or mac os x. You'll simply need the respective SDKs for iOS and Android if you plan on developing for them.

And yes, orx is particularly adapted for any 2D game development, including side scrollers. I made a short one myself two years ago in about 20 hours of work for a game compo (the art assets were provided as a first part of the compo). It's called Mushroom Stew and more info can be found in the projects section of this forum.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate!
  • edited October 2011
    I'm a bit confused, as some of this terminology is new to me. So, I would get the dev packages for Android AND MS Visual Studios? And SVN is basically a different IDE? I'm most familiar with MS Visual Studios 2010, as my C/C++ class uses it...so, would the orx package from the 2008 version work with it? I guess I'm looking at the list of downloads and still wondering...just kinda seems a bit overwhelming...Thanks for the help.

Desh2350
  • edited October 2011
    No worries!

So the 2008 packages might work, but I never tried them with msvs2010. What is (are) your target platform(s)?

If you simply want to work for windows right now, I wouldn't bother with Android and just try to have things working with windows first. :)

SVN is the diminutive of Subversion, the version control system (VCS) orx is using on SourceForge.net. What I suggested was to not use the package as they're getting old but using instead the latest version of orx that you can retrieve from sourceforge by using any SVN client. For windows I suggest using TortoiseSVN (http://tortoisesvn.net/).

When you use it, you want to select SVN checkout, which means getting all the latest source code from sourceforge to a local directory. The server address you need to use is this one:
    https://orx.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/orx/trunk

Then you can go into your local orx folder, and go down to codeuildmsvs2010 and open the solution. You'll then need to compile the embedded dynamic version of orx, there are three of them: release, profile and debug.
    And there you go, you get the actual content you'd get from the package except they're newer and will definitely work with msvs 2010.

Let me know if something wasn't clear. It's normal if it looks overwhelming at first but you'll see this is pretty easy when you get used to it. :)
  • edited October 2011
    I see the dev package for Android, the one for MS Visual Studios 2008, the orx-full-android, the orx-dev-android-native, ortx=extern, etc. I guess I'm just looking for a cpmplete list of the downloads I need. Thanks for the patience, as I've seen different lists/takes on this at other sites, though having seen something of what ORX is capable of, I'd like to stick with this, for any 2D games I write.
  • edited October 2011
    Thanks, I'm looking into developing for the Android OS. So, you were referring to the specific mirror site to go to, in order to access the downloads?
  • edited October 2011
    Well, actually you don't need to download anything on the site.
    What I suggest is downloading a SVN client (see my previous post), and use it to get orx on your computer. You can find more info here if you're not familiar with software version control tools: http://sourceforge.net/scm/?type=svn&group_id=234700

When you get all orx on your computer, you can then compile it yourself for any target platform, including Android. You won't need any other additional download beside the SDL/NDK, everything is on the SVN.

Hope this makes it a bit more clear. :)
  • edited October 2011
    So, this SVN is designed to work with Windows? How does this link in with developing a game for, say, Android? I have the TortoiseSVN now.
  • edited October 2011
    Seeing your other thread, I guess you figured SVN out so I'll go reply there instead. :)