simple orx scene editor

I developed a simple orx scene editor. Not only You could drag the objects to the place you want, but scaling, tiling, rotating, and even setting parent is also available in this editor.
The editor is also used in my game in my company, mainly achieve the goal to edit ui with "what you see is what you get" way.

Although it is not easy to use, (in order to cross-platform, no any text inputted in this editor) I believe it could relieve the embarrass that orx (an wonderful game engine) do not have a practical scene editor.

Here is some tips to operate it:
1. the left side of the editor is the object you want to drag into, the start position of the object is on the (0,0,0).
2. then you could select the object by clicking it, and drag it everywhere.
3. the right side of the screen is the bar to show info and do some operations. In "File" you could save all object into a map(or a scene)
4. after select an object, Properties bar will show all info and
modify some basic properties like rotation color and scale.
5. there would be lots of "change to **" button on the right side after opening properties. By selecting the buttons, you could use the right button of mouse to realize some operation.
eg: click change to rotate, it could rotate the object when right moused moved.

my code in this editor is really terrible. my lack of knowledge about game and programming make the code really really dirty and hard to extend and understand, I am even shame to share the code to you. And because of this I may rewrite all of this editor in the future if I have time.

the attachment is the editor binary in linux.
(I will release windows version on Monday.)

you should put orx 1.3 lib into /usr/lib/ :laugh:
it is really important.

enjoy it and thank you. https://forum.orx-project.org/uploads/legacy/fbfiles/files/myOrxEditorBin.zip

Comments

• edited June 2011
    Thanks for sharing with us! I'll try the linux version maybe tonight or if I lack the time, I'll wait for the windows version.

Being able to set parents in the editor sounds like a great feature! =)

Looking forward to trying it.
  • edited June 2011
    windows is ok
    the binary is in bin folder

another thing to remind here is about asset/Params.ini

ConfigList = Configs/UIPic.ini#Configs/UIclips.ini
    WorkingDirectory = ../myTestPro/

above two values is in the file.

WorkingDirectory determine the base folder of your project. for example: you could set it as D:/work/myTestPro/

ConfigList is the config files will be loaded into the editor.
    for example: Configs/UIPic.ini
    it will load D:/work/myTestPro/Configs/UIPic.ini into the editor.

I still have no confidence in release code here, hehe
  • edited June 2011
    After having fixed the font issue you mentioned to me in private this morning, it worked great.

It looks really nice, I like its presentation. I noticed a couple of small bugs though:

- I couldn't save the map, it doesn't give me any error message, but there's no .ini written anywhere!

- When adding object A as a parent of object B, if A has a scale and rotation before the parenting, their effect are not negated and object B gets transformed. It works well for translation (position) however. A simple way of not having to do the maths yourself would be to access B's frame and set its coordinate (position, rotation and scale) in the world space as they were before the parenting. That should fix it. :)

I got some inspiration from your editor in order to improve ScrollEd, thanks! =)
  • edited June 2011
    for the map saving, I have found the error. but it should release the binary again as soon as I switch to window
    the second problem for it is the error I have known, but now I don't have much time to fix it nowadays. sorry.
  • edited June 2011
    the new bin of windows, you could override the previous one in bin folder
  • edited June 2011
    well here it is
    the forum doesn't permit .exe file https://forum.orx-project.org/uploads/legacy/fbfiles/files/bin.zip
    bin 153.7K
  • edited June 2011
    hey,
    thanks for the work on the scene editor.
    I must admit I haven't checked it out very thoroughly, but a decent scene editor is what orx needs.

any plans on releasing the source code?
    I would appreciate this very much(I wouldn't mind any dirty code, btw ^^)!
  • edited June 2011
    Oops, I thought I already posted here but apparently not! ^^

So yes, nice work, lasch, I especially like the way objects can be placed. :)

I'm currently changing the object selector in ScrollEd to support something a bit similar (with different pages and that doesn't require to write a centralized list in config).
  • edited June 2011
    is the code for the ScrollEd hosted in some repository, or how can I get hold of it?
  • edited June 2011
    It's not public right now and I believe only faistoiplaisir and Lydesik have a recent version for their own projects.
    As I extend it regularly for my own projects (I never use orx directly without it), its development is fairly active.
    I keep wanting to release it publicly but I'm afraid people wouldn't know how to use it without a doc. And I haven't found the time to write such a doc, unfortunately.

Right now, the editor part of it (ScrollEd) isn't working as I'm adding a catalog system for object selection (instead of having to cycle through the whole collection of objects as it was done in Mushroom Stew). When I'm done, I can send you a version with a quick howto.
    As a note, even if you don't need level editing features Scroll might still be valuable as it's a C++ layer that allow easy automatic binding between C++ classes and config section for object creations and virtual methods for the most common event processing.
  • edited June 2011
    well that sounds all pretty nice.
    I would really appreciate getting a copy once you have it working again. :D
  • edited August 2011
    Is it meant that your company use orx? It's a great step for orx.