New people!

Comments

• edited July 2011
    MNIM wrote:
    Oh, congrats to the new parents, then! :D

Thanks! That's going to be a bit of a challenge given that we already have a 21 months old daughter. ^^
    As for choppy frames, that's flash for ya. :P
    Not sure bout the volume, I don't think that was included in BM1.

Ah it's ok, I'll just turn the sound off. I couldn't test yesterday unfortunately, I'll try again tonight. :)
    Anyway, that's the kind of gameplay I’m intending to do, though I’ll have to add some way of difficulty management, as in those games it's very hard to get around in the beginning, but as soon as you get a planet or more it rapidly grows too easy since owned planets make money, but do not provide any difficulties past an occasional, almost negligible enemy attack.

Sounds good to me. I'm sure you've already found the tutorials on the wiki but I couldn't recommend them too much, especially the community ones. Orx isn't the most traditional engine out there on a few points and I found that some features were apparently too hidden for newcomers to naturally discover them.

Which is a shame, actually, as they usually could shorten up development time and lessen the coding effort. So don't hesitate to ask on the forum if you think there might be better ways of doing A or handling B as I'm the first to acknowledge the documentation isn't that great (and that includes the tutorials I wrote). :D
    The community tutorials are much better though as they've been written by people discovering orx and that makes them usually much more helpful for newcomers. :)
  • edited July 2011
    iarwain wrote:
    Sounds good to me. I'm sure you've already found the tutorials on the wiki but I couldn't recommend them too much, especially the community ones.
    I have noticed. Now, since I’m only just starting, I can't really comment on any 'hidden' or unclear functions so far, but what I find in the tutorials is, for in example in grey's tutorials, is that he shows new code before explaining it, and that it's often unclear where the new code is supposed to go exactly in the file. Combined with the lack of the complete correct files attached at the end of the tutorial, it's very hard to find out exactly what you did wrong and/or why. Thankfully though FourBaBCE on the #0rx-project irc channel helped me wipe out most compilation errors.

I'll be opening up a topic in the Projects board soon, I’ll be asking for help there [strike]if[/strike] when I need it.
  • edited July 2011
    Hello MNIM! Welcome and whatnot :) -- If there is something unclear in my explanations, I'd love to hear where you had trouble.

My reason for not including the 'complete' code at the end of each tutorial, is because I know that some people (myself included I must admit) find the temptation to copy and paste the code into place, rather than going through the process, a little too strong, and they don't end up actually learning what is going on.

Obviously this is not always the case, but as I am always willing to answer questions that are sent my way, I tend to hope that the lack of 'pre-baked' versions isn't too much of a disadvantage.

Glad to hear you managed to get everything running though! If you've any questions feel free to drop a PM my direction, (or better, ask in the forums, I tend to lurk!) and I'll be happy to answer anything I can.

(I don't lurk on IRC much at the moment, new job so very busy!)

Anyway, Welcome, Good luck, and I hope you enjoy your stay! :)
  • edited July 2011
    Well hello grey. ^.^ Well, I’m not saying your tutorials are that bad, but they're hard to follow without former knowledge of the C(++) language, of which I have little. Besides that, there's very little commented in the code, I myself have a habit of having about 1/4 of the lines in a source being comments. My coding style almost looks like a tutorial in itself.
  • edited September 2011
    Hi people, I'm 32 y.o. C/C++ developer from Italy.
    I mainly do industrial and automotive applications and firmwares but now I want to try to start game development for mobile phones (iPhone/Android).
    I started developing at professional level in year 2000 but I develop since 1986 (Oviletti M24 and the good old GW-BASIC then Turbo Pascal and Turbo C, then a bit of viral assembler and so on...) and I'm grown with 2D games with first Accolade, Sierra, Lucas, Blizzard, id, 3D Realms titles.

I tried to realize a 3D FPS for PC using Ogre 3D engine but I had to stop because of lack of resources (mainly time and people) so I decided to make something less pretentious with less involved people.

Right now I'm studying the source code of the orx engine and the tutorials to understand the main philosophy behind the code.
    I hope to be able to give my contribution to the engine as soos as I start using it.

Bye
  • edited September 2011
    Hi ainvar, and welcome here!

I'm glad you're interested in trying orx and I hope it'll be to your liking. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions as there are great features there but they're not always obvious to find, unfortunately. I'd suggest also using the SVN repository which is stable and much more advanced than the latest release (a bunch of fixes + new features).

And yey for the contribution! They're always welcome and there are more of them lately which is great. =)

Cheers!
  • edited September 2011
    Hi everybody! I'm a 21 years old Software Engineering student from Italy.
    I've stumbled upon Orx reading the "List of game engines" page on Wikipedia and I was attracted by the high portability of the engine.
    I'm currently developing a simple "Endless Running" game, I mean those kind of games with a pg that automatically runs in a direction and the player can only jump or attack according to the situation.

Greetings!
  • edited September 2011
    Hi danilox6, and welcome!

This kind of game is very popular since Canabalt, I think. The latest I've tried is Jetpack Joyride. Good luck with your project and don't hesitate to post some news about it in the project section if you feel like it!

Also, as usual, don't hesitate if you have any questions. =)

Cheers!
  • edited September 2011
    Thank you so much!
  • edited October 2011
    Hey, I'm a noob. I've been programming for years and I've been wanting to make a good game, but I didn't have the skill to engineer my own game engine. No game engine that I researched had all the features I wanted, and was 2D-oriented. I want to start with 2D, and I'm not all that interested in moving on to a 3D game any time soon. I've always liked the look of 2D, and companies like Vanillaware prove that it can still be done well. Not to mention the indie and doujin gaming scenes, most of which are pervaded by a wealth of 2D games.

I have a pretty good collection of ideas myself, and I can totally see myself using Orx to make almost all of them a reality.

Also, did anyone else notice that Orx looks like a guy bowing on his hands and legs? There was a similar Japanese emoticon... Orz. Maybe I'm just crazy. Anyway, see you around!
  • edited October 2011
    Hi and welcome here! =)

Well, you're not the first one to mention Orz, which is also apparently very famous in China, but I never heard of it before a year or so!

As for Vanillaware, I totally agree with you, they're a living proof that 2D can still be beautiful. In the same category I also recently enjoyed Bastion.
  • edited October 2011
    Hello, all, I'm new here. I'm SonicBHoC's team leader on our senior software engineering project. We'll be using Orx to make a shmup game.

I would love to express my gratitude for the creators of this engine, because it is so well-coded and efficient. I love that it was written in C, because it doesn't impose any kind of Object-Oriented design decisions on you like other engines (mostly Unity); you're free to decide the inheritance structure of objects in your game yourself!
  • edited October 2011
    Hi Yoder and welcome here!

Thanks for the kind words, it's greatly appreciated! I'm looking forward to seeing your project when it's done. Don't hesitate to post about it in the project section if you want to inform people about your progression or if you have any questions about using orx or general game development.

As for orx, there's some minor OO aspect to it (the orxSTRUCTURE hierarchy), but it's mostly for internal use. There's also some DOD (Data Oriented Design, different from Data Driven Design) approach in the way structures are allocated and referenced internally as well as the whole orxOBJECT concept as performance are usually a big concern in game development. I'm still working on improving that aspect. :)
  • edited October 2011
    Thanks for the quick welcome. :)

Yeah, we'll be sure to make a topic for it when the project has matured some more.

Very interesting. I can't wait to become more familiar with Orx. I'm just glad that all that implementation is transparent to us, letting us link it into any language regardless of paradigm.
  • edited October 2011
    Thanks for clearing that up, I assumed that Orx was Data Driven. I'll read that article, I'm interested in DOD now.
  • edited October 2011
    Well you were right with that assumption. :) Orx is data driven by design, which is mostly seen by the user, but also uses data oriented design internally for efficient memory accesses.
  • edited November 2011
    Hi,

My name is Mhyre, and I am a 19 years old student from France. Currently studying computer sciences, I am also interested in art!

I am the mind behind 4 projects:
    [*]Epic Minds, which is my development studio. I am the CEO.none[*]Crystia, which is quite a big project, is supposed to be a steam-like for indie developers. I am the Founder.none[*]The Developers Society, which is a community website for worldwide developers sharing ideas and projects, to communicate and collaborate. I am the Founder and Community Managernone[*]Milana, a little RPG project certainly using Orx!

Nice to meet you.
  • edited November 2011
    Bonjour Mhyre et bienvenue!

Sounds like you're pretty busy. Best of luck with all those projects at the same time, I sure wouldn't be able to do that much. =)
  • edited November 2011
    iarwain wrote:
    Bonjour Mhyre et bienvenue!

Sounds like you're pretty busy. Best of luck with all those projects at the same time, I sure wouldn't be able to do that much. =)

Merci!

They sure keep me busy all the time, but it's everything I love to do! I will certainly be able to do a lot of things, thanks to Orx (and its community) :)
  • edited November 2011
    Hello everyone,

I am new to Orx and take this opportunity to say thanks to the developers! Orx looks very promising.

On a personal note, I am a seasoned programmer (mostly scientific) but want to pursue the (still) unfulfilled dream of writing games. For my first project, I am looking for a fast-paced, insanely fun (hopefully) shooter... vertical (like space invaders) or horizontal (like defender) scrolling, I have not decided yet.

Cheers!
  • edited November 2011
    Hi duenez and welcome here!

I always thought that orx would be perfect to create a shoot'em up with features such as the spawners and FXs. Looking forward to seeing with what you'll come up.

Cheers!
  • edited November 2011
    Hey, nice to meet you. My friends and I are trying to make a top-down shooter right now using orx. It's been interesting so far... Well, good luck with yours!
  • edited November 2011
    Hi iarwain, sonicbhoc, and the community,

In a couple of days I have been able to make a first prototype of the shooter I want... Orx rules!

Here is a screenshot (sorry about the artifacts, I am not using the orx launcher, thus I have no key for automatic screen caps). Some sprites were made by my wife, other downloaded from free clipart sites.
  • edited November 2011
    Screenshot-c8d6a544ac2fa0c98e9b0708cf1b28d3.png

(Sorry, once uploaded, the image cannot be edited, it seems)
  • edited November 2011
    That was quick, congrats!

And yes, the forum is a bit finicky with embedded images. Don't hesitate to start a new thread in the projects section of the forum, it's always interesting to see everyone's work and their evolution. :)
  • edited December 2011
    HIIIIIIIIIIIIIII! :D So, I'm Isaac :) My friends call me Sonic. Mostly because I like Sonic the Hedgehog a lot. Anywho! I've got a ton of videogame ideas, I've made a few in flash and working on understanding the ins and outs of Orx to try out making a cross-platform multiplayer game. It's a bit of an ambitious idea, but what's the fun in trying anything less? :D

While I'm here, I may as well ask, could someone direct me to a list of all the commands that can be used in the config files?
  • edited December 2011
    Hi SilverSonic and welcome back! :)

A cross-platform multiplayer game sure is ambitious but it's something I've been dreaming about since orx started, about 9 years ago! :)

For the config properties, you'll find all the ones related to structures creation in CreationTemplate.ini and those for global settings in SettingsTemplate.ini.

Those are only the properties recognized by orx, you can of course add your own config data and handle it the way you want.

There's also a wiki section about all this which I recommend to use.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. :)
  • edited January 2012
    Hello community!

My name is Alex. I'm new here. Just recently started to use orx on iPhone and Android.
    In the past I did some game development for iPhone. The biggest thing I ever made on iPhone is probably TapMania.org. The game is free and available on the AppStore since 2010 or so.
    Generally, I have been developing in C, C++, Java, Groovy, Perl, PHP and assembly since 2001. I started iPhone development back in the days of the open toolchain which worked on linux.
    I also have been working on a cross-platform 2D game engine. It never got "far" but the basic stuff it had worked equally on iPhone, Android, MacOSX and WebOS.

So far I enjoy orx. Even though it only offers a plain C API and the C++ wrapper (Scroll) is written in "c with classes" rather than in C++ :)

I would like to thank Iarwain and other developers of orx. You guys are great! Thank you :)

Cheers!
    Alex
  • edited January 2012
    Welcome Alex! I kinda remember playing your game on iOS, but I'm not really sure. I've played tons of "tap" games so I can't really remember them all!

It's always great to see the community grow =]
  • edited January 2012
    Thanks Mhyre :)

There are just a couple of noteworthy tap games for iOS..
      DDR S by Konami (I almost got sued by Konami for doing Tapmania.org)
      TapTap revenge (and a million different versions of that)
      ReRave (great games made by my buddies. they also made a cabinet version for the arcade)
      TapMania.org :)

All these games except TapMania are $1-5. It's quite likely you played TapMania :)

Take a look at youtube.. search for Tapmania. The videos are made by players and people who made custom graphics/skins for Tapmania :)

Cheers!
    Alex
  • edited January 2012
    For my birthday, I'm taking a half-day off work and playing with ORX.

Figured I should drop a post and say, "Hi, and thanks for the documentation and library!"
  • edited January 2012
    Happy birthday and welcome to the forums :)
  • edited January 2012
    @redsai: Happy birthday and welcome here! :)

@godexsoft: Congrats for TapMania. I stumbled upon it a couple of weeks ago but I haven't played it yet.
  • edited January 2012
    Thanks Iarwain. Give it a try.. the engine (all made from scratch) is kinda cool. But I stopped developing the game one year ago.. now I probably will want to make tapmania2 and base it on orx if all goes well with the current game and I still like orx after finishing it :-)

Cheers and thanks for your help!
  • edited January 2012
    I will! Is it on the app store or do I need a jailbroken device to play it? (Right now I don't have any jailbroken device anymore, but that can be fixed.)

I sure hope you'll still like orx after finishing your current game but if it isn't the case, please let me know which aspects put you off so that I can make it better in the future. :)

Cheers, Alex!
  • edited January 2012
    It's on the app store and it's free too ;) Just look for "Tapmania.org". It comes with some songs so you can start playing right away :)

I also hope I will like orx as much as I like it now.. I definitely will let you know about any things I will not love about orx ;) The most frustration with orx at the moment is that it's all plain C.. and Scroll, being a great effort, is still more on the "c with classes" side rather than C++.. for a really good _C++_ code in a game engine (which would be just great if it would support iPhone and Android) take a look at ClanLib.. their code is real C++.. and yes, i know, someone loves C++, someone hates it. The thing is.. i love it and for me it's a pain that it's SO hard to mix with Scroll/Orx ;)

That being said, Tapmania is completely written in Objective-C :D Mostly because I only realized the power of _modern_ C++ about two years ago even though I was programming in "c with classes" sine 2003 or so.

Cheers!
    Alex
  • edited January 2012
    godexsoft wrote:
    It's on the app store and it's free too ;) Just look for "Tapmania.org". It comes with some songs so you can start playing right away :)

Dang, my google-fu deceived me and I found a tapmania on the appsotre which doesn't look like yours: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tapmania-free/id305563834?mt=8 :)

But I've now found yours and will try it tonight.
    I also hope I will like orx as much as I like it now.. I definitely will let you know about any things I will not love about orx ;) The most frustration with orx at the moment is that it's all plain C..

Heh, I can totally understand that and you're probably not the only one feeling that way. As for me, I've been developing AAA games in C++ for about 11 years now and I've witnessed so many atrocities that I'd rather stick with a language that doesn't give so many opportunities to non-expert of screwing everything up. :)
    and Scroll, being a great effort, is still more on the "c with classes" side rather than C++.. for a really good _C++_ code in a game engine (which would be just great if it would support iPhone and Android) take a look at ClanLib.. their code is real C++.. and yes, i know, someone loves C++, someone hates it. The thing is.. i love it and for me it's a pain that it's SO hard to mix with Scroll/Orx ;)

That's actually a very interesting choice as I've used ClanLib in the past and, as much as I like it, I wouldn't say it's a great example of OO design.
    As far as I remember (I haven't used it for many years), there are a lot of static method invocations, passing context in parameters, like their drawing class. :)

As for Scroll it's mainly a wrapper around orx to bring some basic level-oriented features, but I'm not sure to understand in what you don't think it's exactly C++/OO oriented.
    Let's say you wouldn't have to make any orx C calls at all, which parts are lacking for it to be considered as real C++? There are even tiny chunks of template-based metaprogramming in it. :P
    That being said, Tapmania is completely written in Objective-C :D Mostly because I only realized the power of _modern_ C++ about two years ago even though I was programming in "c with classes" sine 2003 or so.

Well, as much as Obj-C syntax irks me, I like their dynamic-OO approach as opposed to C++ static one. I wouldn't say I'd use it for coding everything (and probably not games), but I still like its Smalltalk-based philosophy. :)

Cheers!
  • edited January 2012
    Objective-C is definitely not bad. I just prefer compile-time errors to runtime ones ;)
    I also do appreciate stl and the speed difference between std::vector and say NSMutableArray. Last time I measured the difference was about 80-100 times. Can you imagine? :)

As for Scroll and OO design. I did not say that Scroll is not OO :) What I said is that I prefer modern C++. Take a look at ClanLib's slot system (basically it's some kind of boost::function). I also like how they organized configs (xml) and how their resource system works. It's very similar to what I had in my C++ engine (which I only worked on for a couple of months).
    Memory management and generally, resource management, with C++ is also much easier. Just remember to do everything the RAII way and you will be fine.

Also, IMHO, there is nothing wrong with passing contexts :)

Plain C in my opinion gives everyone including pros the opportunity to screw things up. Especially memory and resources. Take a look at this example:
    // inside a function
    mem = malloc(...);
    int ret = operation1();
    if(ret != 0) 
    {
        free(mem);
        return -1;
    }

// How about inserting a 'return' or 'break' ? - here we go.

ret = operation2();
    if(ret != 0) 
    {
        free(mem);
        return -2;
    }

And then of course you can use a 'goto' but that's so dirty..
    Now this:
    {
    shared_ptr<..> mem = shared_ptr<..>( new obj() );
    if( !operation() )
    {
        return;
    }
    }

or
    {
    resource<texture> tr = resource<texture>( "path to resource" );
    }

The resource will be automatically loaded at construction and unloaded when it goes out of scope unless it was copied by some other function/class to use in say a scene. When the scene is destroyed and the resource is no longer needed the destructor will be called (same as shared_ptr) and the texture will be unloaded from open gl and memory. That's much better, huh? :)

Cheers!
  • edited January 2012
    Well, we've just hi-jacked the welcome thread so I guess we should continue this debate somewhere else! I'll start a new thread. I'll use your last post as starter if you don't mind. :)
  • edited January 2012
    Hehe.. I forgot we are in the welcome thread :) Feel free to move our conversation to a different thread and lets continue the debate :)
  • edited January 2012
    Done! It's in the general discussion section, I'm sure you'll find it easily given the topic. ;)

Also re-congrats for tapmania.org, I just tried it on my iPad. Now if only there was native iPad display support... ;)
  • edited February 2012
    Hello orx community!~
    I am Kat and I am a future game designer. I was a apart of the BYOND community until a) I got tired of the community and b) realized I needed to learn a recognized language such as C instead of playing with a c++ wannabe. Oh well at least I have some experience.
    I can at least read the c/c++ code used here but obviously I need to get better. Hopefully I can use orx to help me out since I need to be working on something to get better versus just trying to read about it.
  • edited February 2012
    Welcome Katsuri,

Our community is growing, so you're here early, and we shouldn't be too tiring just yet :D. As for Orx, we've a small but also growing collection of tutorials on the wiki. Feel free to go through those, and if you've any questions, do ask -- it's fairly certain now that someone will be able to help you out!

Just to plug my own tutes, (they're linked a little further down in my signature) I try to keep them fairly straight forward, simple and try to explain most things so you might want to take a look that way.

Good luck! And again, welcome :)

- Grey.
  • edited February 2012
    Thanks much :)
  • edited February 2012
    Welcome to Orx, Katsuri! I hope you'll enjoy Orx and the tutorials just like me. They're fairly easy to understand and, with some practice, you'll be enjoying more and more of Orx as you get better. You're in a good community always ready to help, so hesitate no more, and get all your issues solved in the blink of an eye! :D
  • edited February 2012
    Welcome Katsuri!

Just saying hi, that's all! :) If you have any questions, don't hesitate.
  • edited April 2012
    Hey there !
    I'm usually a RoR developper(well, I began with BASIC on toys computers, stuff like this : http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/250030042/Toy_Computer_Toy_Laptop_Baby_Laptop_Plastic.jpg when I was like 7/8) , but I wanted to develop on the nD, and I end up here :p

Well, it was out of curiosity too, I never used data-driven programming before, but it looks interessing :)

Apart from that, I'm an old schooler, console IRC(god I hate Irc with GUI :D ) and all.

I first intend to do a parody of a TV Game, "Le compte est bon" in French, but with negative numbers, exponents, numbers with comma etc ), this started with my old brother out of the blue, and this looks like a good training (yup, not the "Wanna start doing a 3D MMORPG" guy there) :)
  • edited April 2012
    Let me be the first to welcome you. As we speak, I'm working on my game programmed in Orx. You can get some information in it in the "Projects" section of the forum.

Do you have experience with C/C++? Did you find the tutorials section of the Wiki? That will give you a good start.

I think you'll find the Orx community very supportive if you need help.
  • edited April 2012
    Well, I studied it at "University"(double quotes because it's what I always use for all post-highschool studies somehow, but whatever :D ), but I then focused on Ruby(on Rails) tho I started learning it before University.

Well, I also did some Python tho I didn't really like, my big crush was Delphi when I was "young", tho that wasn't really perfect.

But I'll say that I can still do stuff with C/C++(Memory etc), Object Programming still fine and user-friendly to me

So basiclly I'm neither bad nor good, somewhere in the middle if you say good is guys like Éric Chahi(who I worked with :p ), Brian Fargo, Bitmap Brothers etc, and, of course our awesome indies nowadays.

Other than that, I found it before actually signing up, my VS is up and rolling on last orx SVN relase :)

Finally, yeah, the Orx community looks very friendly :)
  • edited April 2012
    Nice avatar. Are you a Persona fan too?