Graphical ORX Animation Editor

edited September 2012 in Projects - Tools
Hi Everyone!

I've been browsing the forum a bit, and it seems that many people would appreciate an ORX animation editor. That's why I've decided to start writing one. I have a functional java-based version already in place. You can just get it from here.

I've also opened the code entirely, (License: WTFPL) it lives here: https://github.com/enobayram/OrxAnimationEditor.git

Here's how it looks:

editor_screenshot.png

So, what you can do is:
* Create animations and frames
* Create animation sets (links, etc...)
* Edit various properties of frames graphically
* Edit (and visualize) offsets for each frame
* Visualize and organize animations and links inside an animation set
* View how a frame, animation or a sequence of them look
* Write all of these to a target config file.
* NOTE: It is not possible to parse an .ini file. But you can save the current editor data in a special format and load it later on. The saved editor state can be moved around in the filesystem together with the referenced files and it will keep functioning correctly.
* Help section

I'm very open to criticism/feedback as I don't claim to be an expert java programmer. Please add features and make the GUI more beautiful as you see fit.

I hope this ends up being useful to someone.

Cheers!
scrsht 114.4K

Comments

• edited July 2012
    Hello :)

I've testet the output .ini files with orx and they worked :)

I've also added snipping and a bad slider for changing the snipping size :P AnimEditor with snipping

When I tried to make a .jar out of it I had big trouble with the ImageIcon stuff being static :O I don't have any knowledge about Java and wasn't able to use the icons in the jar, maybe you can help.
    AnimEditor.jar
  • edited July 2012
    Hey!

I'm glad it's working, thanks for testing it :) The snap slider is a very good idea, would you mind if I added it to my distribution? I'm planning to move it to the FrameEditor panel though, it's a bit confusing on the AnimationManager panel.

About the jar issue. There are ways to make image loading possible from jar files, but I never bother. I treat the jar file as I treat the main .exe in a game. So I just distribute my application in its own working directory as a .zip.

Thanks!
  • edited July 2012
    Of course you can add it to you distribution :)
    I treat the jar file as I treat the main .exe in a game. So I just distribute my application in its own working directory as a .zip.

Like putting the .jar and the icons folder in one directory?
    I've tried that on Ubuntu 12.04 but it didn't work :(
    Even adding it to the .jar archive didn't work.

I've tried
    There are ways to make image loading possible from jar files
    but it doesn't work since your ImageIcons are static
  • edited July 2012
    Hey! I've added your snap slider to the git repository, as well as the binary. If it's causing troubles on Ubuntu, I'll make it work from the .jar right away :)

Cheers!
  • jimjim
    edited July 2012
    Hey, nice work enobayram :) it is a very nice tool indeed. We need community made tools more and more. Now, iarwain you see, that's what I was talking about,we definitely need a tools section. Otherwise this post will get lost easily after a few days, and new users will hardly find it :(

Thanks again enobyram, all hail orx :D
  • edited July 2012
    Thank YOU for your interest in it guys!

KarloBob, I've updated both the source, and the original binary link to work both from a standalone .jar, and from .class files (since that's the way it's run from an IDE). Now everyone can enjoy a double click! :)

Cheers, and thanks for all the feedback.

All hail orx and Ubuntu!
  • edited July 2012
    That's an excellent news! :D

I'm looking forward to giving it a try over the week end! :)
  • edited July 2012
    Hi Everyone!

I've finished implementing rudimentary support for animation set editing. So, maybe we can call the editor in its alpha stage. I've updated the git repository, and the binary link.

So, the editor looks like this now:

scrsht-2c55d31911386be698380ed708c10e93.png

For example, when you choose "Write to Target" for the state of that screenshot, here's the generated .ini file:
    [mySet]
    AnimationList = NewAnimation0#NewAnimation1
    LinkList =NewAnimation12NewAnimation0
    [NewAnimation12NewAnimation0[
    Source      = NewAnimation1
    Destination = NewAnimation0
    [NewAnimation0]
    DefaultKeyDuration   = 0.3
    KeyData1    = NewFrame0
    KeyData2    = NewFrame1
    KeyData3    = NewFrame2
    [NewFrame0]
    Texture           = imagesstonebrick.bmp
    TextureCorner     = (15, 10, 0)
    TextureSize       = (50, 40, 0)
    Pivot             = (25, 20, 0)
    [NewFrame1]
    TextureCorner     = (10, 30, 0)
    TextureSize       = (45, 25, 0)
    Pivot             = (22, 12, 0)
    [NewFrame2]
    TextureSize       = (60, 35, 0)
    Pivot             = (30, 17, 0)
    [NewAnimation1]
    DefaultKeyDuration   = 0.3
    KeyData1    = NewFrame3
    KeyData2    = NewFrame4
    [NewFrame3]
    TextureCorner     = (10, 40, 0)
    TextureSize       = (40, 20, 0)
    Pivot             = (20, 10, 0)
    [NewFrame4]
    TextureSize       = (45, 30, 0)
    Pivot             = (22, 15, 0)

When you do something insensible, f.x, having multiple objects with the same name, or not having set the texture size for a certain frame, writing to the target either results in a null pointer exception, or it simply creates a wrong output (f.x. having a frame and an animation with the same name). But as long as the animation set you're trying to generate makes sense, there's no problem. There are probably also many bugs obviously, but we'll discover them over time.

For those, who might have tried to save the state of the editor with an earlier version; That saved state will not work with the latest version, since I didn't try to stay compatible. Since the editor is now in a functional state, and might be used by someone for useful results, I'll try to keep the loading backward compatible in the future (as much as is reasonable).

I'm looking forward to your feedback!
    Cheers.
  • edited July 2012
    Nice work, enobayram!

Do I need anything else than the .jar? Trying to run it (double click) I get an error message telling me the main class orxanimeditor.ui.EditorMainWindow isn't found.

Do I do something wrong (haven't touched Java for about 12 years) or is that a version incompatibility?

Also, is it easy to load a C library from Java? If so, you could benefit of orx's config module and this one will make sure the data is saved with the same format it can read (orxConfig_Load()/orxConfig_Save()) and can also be helpful for your own save state.
    No need to use a full version of orx for that, you can compile the library in non-embedded mode (ie. no plugins won't be contained in the library), that's what I'm doing with the orxCrypt and orxFontGen tools too (no display init, etc...).

It might not be worth the hassle though but I thought I'd mention it. :)
  • edited July 2012
    Thanks iarwain,

You should be able to simply double click the .jar file. I agree that the .jar isn't working probably due to some JRE version issues. This is an interesting experience for me, since I've never tried to distribute .jar files before. I've tried to compile for JRE 1.6 this time (it was 1.7 before). So, please try again. What OS are you running?

Nice idea! It's actually very easy (read: "not so hard" :) )to interface C/C++ code to java per se. Especially if you use an interface generator like swig. One problem would be if orx tries to do something to the OpenGL context. Do the config, or the animation modules try to touch the OpenGL context? If not, I could try to use as much from them as possible. Then I'd just need to distribute with the dynamic libraries / shared objects (whatever). Did anyone create orx java bindings? Did anyone successfully run orx inside another widget toolkit (be it C/C++ or else)? I'm asking these, because it would be very interesting, if we could embed orx itself in an opengl widget, and let it do the rendering. Then we could play with FX and everything :)

I'd really appreciate feedback from anyone that tries to run the .jar file, along with OS and JRE version information if it's not a big trouble.

Cheers!
  • edited July 2012
    Is this taking advantage of the new animation subsystem? (I haven't been here for a while, I don't know if it ever got finished ^_^;; )
  • edited July 2012
    Nope, it's spitting out config files with the old way of listing the links separately. However, modifying it for the new system should take no time, I think. If needed, I can add separate options for outputting config files for the old and the new animation subsystems. Note, however, that skeletal animations are not handled by this tool, it's just to edit conventional frame-based animations and animation sets.

As for the skeletal animations, what do you guys use to edit them?
  • edited July 2012
    I've never animated anything before. I kinda want to try using this one tool called Spriter that started on kickstarter a while back. Looks interesting and easy enough to use.
  • edited July 2012
    I've also got my eyes on Spriter. I guess we should write converters from the Spriter output to the orx config files as soon as it's released. I've started writing this little tool so that we've something simple and free for basic animation editing, but it'd be an overkill to set out for skeletal animations while Spriter is about to be released.
  • edited July 2012
    Thanks, your new binary works just fine for me! :)

For the records, my main OS would be Win7 64b but I also have access to OS X 10.6, an Ubuntu 8.04 32b and a Mint 11 64b.

For orx, there's no external dependency from the core system (ie. everything par of orx library as opposed to the plugins) except for a self contained dlmalloc use and std lib C accesses for maths, memory and file handling. That means there won't be any OpenGL/OpenAL craziness by default unless you asks for it via the plugins. :)

As for rendering in another window, it's possible with a slight modification of the display plugin (that I should really integrate in the trunk). For an example, you can have look at ainvar's editor, Ocean: https://forum.orx-project.org/discussion/2772

On windows, it's just a matter of setting the windows ID somewhere in config and use it from within the GLFW/display plugin part. Not sure about the other OSes but there is probably a similar way of doing it.

For the new animation system, well, haven't worked on it for months and months, I did the timeline and command modules instead. ^^
    Not sure why but I can't motivate myself to work on that... I'll try again end of summer when I get some time. :)
  • edited August 2012
    Hi Everyone! I hope you're all having a great summer...

I'm back from my vacation, and resumed (sort of) real life. I'd like to let you know that I've improved the animation editor (with significant support from KarloBob from the very beginning). The original binary and source links point to the latest version as usual...

Well, the new features since I've last written here are:
    - Old rectangle toggle button; the possibility to re-use the previous rectangle in the frame editor view(Thanks to KarloBob)
    - The ability to re-arrange animation icons on the animation set viewer (Thanks to KarloBob)
    - Now the animation project works even if all the files are moved together. To explain further, now you can do all the editing, and save your editor data to a .oap (orx animation project) file. Now, if you move your image files, the ini file and the oap file together, you can go back to your editing from the new location.

Again, thanks to KarloBob, I've also fixed many bugs. I think, especially with the addition of the last feature, the editor can be truly useful in a real project.

Pending features:
    - Ability to pop out/in individual views to their own windows.
    - Improvements to the animation viewer, such that you have control over what is displayed. I'm also planning to add the ability to display animation sequences.

Meanwhile I've also managed to run ORX on Android!!! Making the number of platforms I've run ORX on 3/5 :) That was really fun, but that'll be the subject of another topic :)
  • edited August 2012
    Nice work!

Sorry for the delayed post but I have a lot of things going on in my private life at the time and that doesn't leave me with much computer time!

Looking forward to seeing how the editor is shaping up. :)

If you have any questions in the meantime, don't hesitate!
  • edited August 2012
    Hi Iarwain,

NP, I know all too well how having no time feels. I have my own set of forum threads, where I'm planning to reply to your last post, after finding the time to try your respective suggestion :)
  • edited September 2012
    Hi everyone!

I have uploaded a significantly improved version of the editor. Now it has its own help included, viewable from inside the editor.

I've also fixed various bugs, and improved its usability overall (such as a save prompt before closing). The github repository and the original .jar download link is updated as usual.

Cheers
  • edited September 2012
    Very much looking forward to trying this out tomorrow night. It's just what I need soon when I start the sprite work.
  • edited September 2012
    I just downloaded the newest version of editor and when i clicked to help content it just showed blank window. I dont know if I did something wrong or it doesnt work for me but I definitely like the editor, it is great :)
  • edited September 2012
    Thanks for your interest, I hope it ends up being genuinely useful to people. What I fear the most is to cause people's time to be wasted because of my programming mistakes. That could mostly happen if you had a large animation project that suddenly becomes unusable due to compatibility issues between versions. That's why I would really like to know when people start to invest real effort in it, so that I'm more careful about the compatibility.

@Reemon: I'm glad you liked it :), could you tell me what OS and (if you're not too lazy to check :) ) what JRE version you've experienced the help issue? BTW, if you really want to check the help now, the content is simply a set of HTML files contained in the .jar file. You can use any browser to view it.

Cheers!
  • edited September 2012
    Hi again, I've tried the jar file on windows now and I've also experienced the blank help view. Now I've fixed that problem and uploaded a new version of the jar file. Please let me know if the problem persists on your end.

Cheers :)
  • edited September 2012
    Everything work just fine now, good job :)
  • edited September 2012
    Hi everyone,

There's now a new version of the editor. I don't want to spam you, but this one's sort of important, because I've made some major changes to the underlying data structures (though there's no visible change to the user). The point is that, the changes are so drastic that I couldn't hope to maintain project file compatibility. This had to be done at one point, so I thought now is probably the best :) Before you start building some work on top of it, make sure you download the latest version.

I hope to be able to maintain some decent backward-compatibility from now on, since the architecture is much cleaner now.
  • edited September 2012
    Heh, no worries about any spam, it's great info knowing about all your progress there, so don't hesitate to post about it here! :)

I'm sure the silent majority of us are interested as well. :)
  • edited September 2012
    Great! It's nice to know that the friendly ORX community is watching :)

BTW, I've watched the Clarion project videos. It's looking really nice! I've also really liked the pixel perfect animations in the older videos. The newer ones are also quite accurate, but not as perfect as the low-res sprites.

That got me thinking how the animation editor could actually help with pixel perfecting the animations. One thing that comes to mind is to be able to slide the animation inside the animation viewer with a configurable velocity, this way, one could very carefully adjust frame delays and pivots to achieve pixel perfect animations.

One could extend this sliding idea with a full system of keyframes, but I'm not sure if this has applications.

What do you think?
  • edited September 2012
    Thanks, enobayram. Yes you're right the stepping of the main sprite in the game is not as good as the lo-res one because I got tired of re-adjusting the sprites each time I made a change to the frames. I decided to wait towards the end to fix this up.

Do you know of a good editor that might help with this??? :) :) :) :) :)

So in my situation, my animation frames vary by width. I keep a value in the config anims for each frame and I use this as the offset to move forward so many pixels.

Would it help you to decide on an approach for the editor if I send you the appropriate config file from the Clarion Project?
  • edited September 2012
    Yes I know of one! :) :)

It's a good idea to stitch the offset to the frames, that will also make it easier to code in the editor. If you send me the config files, I can make the offset a graphically editable property that also gets written to the .ini file. You can then see the result of the offset immediately in the viewer.

I think the config file would be nice to have, so that we know we're talking about the same thing.

Very exciting :)
  • edited September 2012
    Two words: event synchronization. ;)

That'd be nice if we could do it inside your editor, for sure. :)
  • edited September 2012
    Hi Iarwain,

Could you elaborate a bit more on event synchronization? As it stands, I was planning to attach a custom "Offset" field to each frame, and use it to offset the pivot in the viewer. I would then also export that field to the config file. I'd prefer to do it as "standard orx" as possible though.
  • edited September 2012
    Sure!

Right now you can add custom events to animation frames, in config.

An event also comes with an optional numerical value that will be sent along the event.

I believe that's how sausage did his pixel-perfect synchronization by sending the amount of translation via those events and handling it in the code, isn't it?

Those events can be used for anything, really, from footstep sound/FX synchro to firing bullets, etc.

More info on the current syntax here: http://orx-project.org/wiki/en/orx/config/settings_structure/orxanim
  • edited September 2012
    Looks nice! I'll implement this per-frame offset into the editor, right after finishing the Drag and Drop support I'm working on right now. (Drag and drop makes everything so much more natural :) )

Sausage, do you think this approach will fit your current purposes?

BTW, Iarwain, how would you go about, if you wanted to have an offset in X and Y? It seems that the event receives only a single float.
  • edited September 2012
    For now you'd need two separate events (OffsetX, OffsetY for example), but I'll make sure to be more flexible in the re-write of the animation module.
  • edited September 2012
    Yes that's right, I used eventvalues from the config animation frames to pass in via events. Then moved by object by that value.

Sorry, enobayram, I didn't get a chance to get that config to you today.

But in the mean time I did an explaiation of the method in the wiki here:

http://orx-project.org/wiki/en/orx/tutorials/community/sausage/realistic_walk_movement

It should be everything you need. Explains how the eventvalues are stored in the animation frames and how the value is picked up in the event handler and used to update movement.

Really got to hit the hay. But I'll get my other examples to you tomorrow.
  • edited September 2012
    @iarwain From the documentation, it's not obvious to me how to set 2 distinct events on the same frame, will this do it?
    [Anim]
    EventName1 = somename # someothername
    EventTime1 = 0.2 # 0.2
    EventValue1 = 5 # 10

@sausage Thanks, this link should be enough for implementation. What does AR1 stand for BTW? Should I export this as the event name?

On a separate note, we've a new version of the editor up now. The changes are purely cosmetic, but I believe you'd like them. Now the Animation Manager supports conventional drag and drop with full visual feedback. You can even press CTRL while dragging to copy instead of move. The drag and drop support is purely within the Animation Manager for now, but I'll soon implement drag and drop for many operations between panels (such as for inserting an animation into an animation set).

There are many more tiny cosmetic changes (such as better visual feedback while editing the name of an object) that I don't even remember :), but they make it more pleasant to use the editor.

The next item on the to-do list is to implement offsets then!
  • edited September 2012
    Hi Everyone!

I'm back with yet another update, now we've frame offset support in the editor. I've tried to rebuild the config files for your tutorial; you can get the .oap (orx animation project) file (along with the image for convenience) [strike]here:[/strike](Sorry I've uploaded a new version)

Simply unzip this archive somewhere, download the latest editor version, and open the tutorial.oap in the editor. You can then see how the animations look with the offsets.

When you're done editing, you can then write to the target ini, I've already set it to be tutorial.ini. I'd be glad if you tried the resulting ini with the actual engine, and see if it works.

BTW, note that I'm also exporting an offset in y with an event name "AR2".
  • edited September 2012
    There was a problem with the previous project file (an accident maybe, or maybe a bug?!?) so I've uploaded a new one:
    https://forum.orx-project.org/uploads/legacy/fbfiles/files/Tutorial.zip
  • edited September 2012
    Hi Everyone!

There's a new version of the editor up. With this update, drag and drop became quite robust and well-integrated. I've extended the drag and drop support to the animation set editor as well. So, you can now just add animations to an animation set by simply dragging them from the animation manager.

I've also removed the unnecessary "delete animation" and "delete link" buttons in the animation set editor, since now you can just do that by selecting and pressing delete.

The Animation Manager also behaves much more naturally. For instance, when you create a new frame inside an animation, the animation is automatically expanded and the new frame selected. You can then press Enter (new feature) to start editing its name.

In the next update, I'll make the whole export process much more robust, with some diagnostics. So that, what gets written to an .ini file will definitely reflect what you see in the editor. The problem right now, is that you can have duplicate names, and they'll be silently written, over-writing each other.

And in the update after that, I'll make some changes to the Animation Viewer, and you'll love it :)

Cheers!
  • edited September 2012
    Hi!

Based on the current activity around the Orx Studio, you might have thought that the stand-alone animation editor has stopped development. Well, that's not true. I'm about to make a hefty update to the animation editor. I'm actually planning to call the animation editor at its beta stage with the update, because it will have all the features I thought I would add in the beginning.

There's one thing I'd like to discuss with you before I make this update though. As you know, a recent addition has been the frame offsets. Now they're in the editor, and with the coming update, they become very easy to edit, with 3 different ways to set them.

The problem is how to define the offsets. Currently, when you define an offset for a frame the following is written to the target config file:
    [WalkLeft]
    DefaultKeyDuration = 0.2
    KeyData1 = Left0
    KeyData2 = Left1
    KeyEventName1 = __0
    __0xOffset = -8
    __0yOffset = 0
    KeyEventName2 = __1
    __1xOffset = -8
    __1yOffset = 0

So, the event handler can look like:
    if(_zEvent[0]!='_' || _zEvent[1]!='_') return;
    	orxConfig_PushSection(_zAnim);
    	float xOffset = orxConfig_GetFloat((string(_zEvent)+"xOffset").c_str());
    	float yOffset = orxConfig_GetFloat((string(_zEvent)+"yOffset").c_str());
    	orxConfig_PopSection();

One could of course do more efficient things like caching (though I don't know it that's really necessary).

How do you feel about this way of handling offsets?

Another point is about whether the offset is "in" or "out", I mean, is the offset applied before or after the frame? I personally thought that the offset of a frame should be applied when the frame is first shown, because it felt more natural. The editor currently assumes that's what you mean by the offset. Though another interpretation could be that the offset is applied at the end.

I have a feeling that the engine supports the latter better. If I'm not mistaken, the event synchronized to a frame is fired at the end of the frame. And further, that if an "immediate" animation link is followed, the event is never fired.

I'm really trying to decide which view is better and how one should implement it. When you actually consider the fact that the collisions are best handled before they take place, each frame defining the transition to the next makes sense. For instance, if the object has the running animation, and if you realize the object is going to collide with a wall in the next frame, you could immediately switch to the bumping animation and cancel the offset.

There's yet another point though: If you define offsets to be after-frame, then the first frame of every animation has to be static (or follows the offset from the previous animation). Take the running-bumping example above. You could want to come up with a sophisticated animation system, such that depending on the speed of collision, you want the object to bounce with different speeds, and for each different speed you have a different animation. In this scenario, simply canceling the frame offset in the event of a collision will not give you the fine control you might want (i.e. finer than simply either current frame offset or zero).

Now I conclude that the most general approach is to be able to define the offset both into and out of a frame. What do you think about the "in" "out" issue? and do you have any implementation suggestions?
  • edited September 2012
    Hey enobayram,

nice update. I'm much too tired at the moment for thinking about the in/out issue, but I'm awake enough to ask a question:
    why do you separate the offset components instead of having a vector?

Something like this would still work:
    [WalkLeft] 
    DefaultKeyDuration = 0.2 
    KeyData1 = Left0 
    KeyData2 = Left1 
    KeyEventName1 = __0
    __0 = (-8 , 0, 0)
    KeyEventName2 = __1 
    __1 = (-8, 0, 0)

• edited September 2012
    Hi iarwain,
    why do you separate the offset components instead of having a vector?

Good point :) That's how it'll be in the update then.

As for the in/out issue, I've decided to stick to the "in" interpretation that's already in the editor. It just feels more natural that a frame carries the information of where the object "is" not where it "will be". As for pre-emptive collision handling, I'll find some other way of conveying the next frame position information on the C/C++ side. When you consider that there could be multiple choices for the next frame, you need a more general approach anyway.

My observation that a frame event is fired after the frame is correct, right? I guess that means I need to handle the first frame offset in the "OnAnim" callback.

I'm looking forward to pushing the update, I hope it'll be a useful tool.

Cheers
  • edited September 2012
    Hi enobayram,

"In" definitely feels like the way to go to me too.
    As for the events, from memory, they get fired right after we've updated the current frame pointer: we then fire all the events that happened between last update and the current one.

It's supposed to be "simultaneous" from a logical point of view and should be considered as such. Both events and animation update will happen before any other logic or physics update can take place within the same frame.
  • edited September 2012
    Hi, here's my test setup for the animation event timing:

The animation config section
    [WalkDown]
    DefaultKeyDuration = 0.20833333333333334
    KeyData1 = NewFrame4
    KeyData2 = NewFrame5
    KeyEventName1 = __0
    __0 = (0,8,0)
    KeyEventName2 = __1
    __1 = (0,8,0)

The code to handle the events:
    void Avatar::OnNewAnim(const orxSTRING _zOldAnim, const orxSTRING _zNewAnim, orxBOOL _bCut){
    	std::cout<<"OnNewAnim:"<<_zNewAnim<<" at:"<<clock()/(double)CLOCKS_PER_SEC<<"none
    ";
    }

void Avatar::OnAnimEvent(const orxSTRING _zAnim, const orxSTRING _zEvent, orxFLOAT _fTime, orxFLOAT _fValue) {
            	std::cout<<"AnimEvent:"<<_zEvent<<" at:"<<clock()/(double)CLOCKS_PER_SEC<<"none
    ";
    }

A section from the program console output:
    OnNewAnim:WalkDown at:3.56
    AnimEvent:__0 at:3.58
    AnimEvent:__1 at:3.62
    OnNewAnim:WalkDown at:3.62
    AnimEvent:__0 at:3.65
    AnimEvent:__1 at:3.69

To me, this looks like KeyEventNameX is fired when KeyDataX is being discarded.

Cheers!
  • edited September 2012
    Mmh, I'll check that out then.
  • edited September 2012
    Yep, bug it was, the events, when declared in config, were actually registered with the timestamp of the end of the frame, not the beginning.

I'll fix that tonight.
  • edited September 2012
    If you'll fix that, than I won't touch the editor.

This brings us to the major update then! I've pushed the update to both the github repository, and also the .jar link. I would like to announce the animation editor to be in its beta stage! :) From now on, I'll stop adding features to it for a while (possibly forever considering the Orx Studio initiative), but I'll fix bugs when people spot them. I'm determined to keep the animation project files created from now on to be compatible with all future versions of the editor.

This final version of the editor contains the following new features:

- Config export diagnostics. Name collisions, invalid fields (such as no texture specified for a texture) etc. are detected while exporting to a config file, and reported.
    - A more useful animation viewer. Now the viewer has a frame & animation queue to be displayed. The animation view display can also be panned and zoomed
    - Tidier frame editor. Now all editing is done via right-clicking with the mouse. The behavior is set by the buttons on the toolbar.
    - 2 additional ways of setting the offset of a frame, making pixel perfect animations much easier to specify.
    - Specify a root folder (other than the target config file) for the image paths.
    - Specify animation links as "immediate"
    - Project changes are caught, and while closing a project, if there are any changes, a "save changes?" prompt is shown.
    - Extended drag and drop support.

I hope you get a chance to review the current state of the animation editor. It ended up being a very lightweight (pocket size :) ) tool. I'd love to receive feedback!

Cheers!
  • edited September 2012
    Ah, and a screenshot of course:

editor_screenshot.png
  • edited September 2012
    Nice work!

I don't think I'll have time to try it over the week end but I'll try sometime next week.

As for orx, if you sync the hg repo on bitbucket, it should be fixed.

Last thing, would it be ok if I cloned your git repo on the official orx bitbucket site? (http://code.orx-project.org)
    Even better, if you have an account there you could do it yourself. ;)
  • edited October 2012
    Hi iarwain,

I've just created a bitbucket account, my username is enobayram there as well. It's my first time with bitbucket, but I guess I need some write permissions, right? Also, should I clone it as a git repository or a mercurial repository (what a redundant question :) )?

If you think my chances of messing something up as a first-time mercurial user multiplied by the amount of time you'll have to spend cleaning it is higher than cloning it yourself, it's perfectly OK for me, if you choose to clone it yourself.

As a side question, what happened to the orx svn repository? Is it abandoned?