Mushroom Stew (aka ProjectX)

2»

Comments

• edited January 2010
    Hahahaha, great story. It sets the mood nicely. Just beat the game again, with a score of over 60000 B)

I really enjoy playing this. It's fun in the same way that megaman games are fun: hard, and you have to learn the level and make precise timed movements to succeed. When you do, it's pretty satisfying. Difficulty seems correctly gauged to me, and your level design is well done to avoid potentially tedious moments of shoot-hide-shoot-hide rince repeat. Well there are still some with the stronger mushrooms, but it feels more like a mini-game of consistency and precision so it's all right. Orange mushrooms are annoying though. I find them harder to beat than bosses (without being hit, at least), because of their faster rate of fire. Maybe the crouch and uncrouch should be accelerated again to make it almost instantaneous. The thing is than when you have a firefight against an orange shroom or the weaker ones, when you crouch on time to avoid the bullet it looks like the bullet "should" have hit you because the timing is so tight. Then again, special weapons are there to help in these moments :laugh:

Speaking of gravity weapon, I encountered a bug with that, twice but in two different places. I had moved over an orange shroom and activated the gravity weapon. He flies up. Then normally he would crash on the ground, exactly where I stand, and fly up again. But when he was just about to land, The game quit because of an unexpected error.

Also I have a typo to report (ATTENTION HUGE SPOILER!)
    In the very last story bit, it says "return to my people a hero" instead of "as a hero"

And another little bug, too. Sometimes when you're crouched and you release the down arrow button, the mushroom stays crouched.

And a suggestion for the scoring system: to take into account the number of lives spent trying to beat a level. Just a bonus when no life is lost would be great, like you did for no damage taken.

Anyway, once again, congrats on the great game = D

ekerik wrote:
    Played around with the latest alpha, and it looks really good. It's really fun to see how fast a game can be developed with orx. I guess what takes time now is to create all the assets, i.e. the boring stuff :).

Oh and Blarg, your level is ridiculously hard :D.
    I thought it was really hard too, especially after iarwain had replaced my crashing green mushrooms with purple ones. When you use the special weapons it's not that hard anymore. I had a lot of fun sending these purple shrooms back from where they came xD. As for the other level with the huge player mushroom (which is maybe the one you were talking about), well while doing it, I kept decreasing the max hp of the huge shroom as I was getting better and better at beating the level. Now I find it pretty easy =P.
  • edited January 2010
    Blarg wrote:
    Hahahaha, great story. It sets the mood nicely. Just beat the game again, with a score of over 60000 B)

Congrats and thanks for the story, but I wasn't the one who wrote it, it was my significant other who took 20 minutes of her time today to do it. :D
    I really enjoy playing this. It's fun in the same way that megaman games are fun: hard, and you have to learn the level and make precise timed movements to succeed. When you do, it's pretty satisfying. Difficulty seems correctly gauged to me, and your level design is well done to avoid potentially tedious moments of shoot-hide-shoot-hide rince repeat. Well there are still some with the stronger mushrooms, but it feels more like a mini-game of consistency and precision so it's all right. Orange mushrooms are annoying though. I find them harder to beat than bosses (without being hit, at least), because of their faster rate of fire. Maybe the crouch and uncrouch should be accelerated again to make it almost instantaneous. The thing is than when you have a firefight against an orange shroom or the weaker ones, when you crouch on time to avoid the bullet it looks like the bullet "should" have hit you because the timing is so tight. Then again, special weapons are there to help in these moments :laugh:

Thanks a lot for the feedback! :woohoo:

As for the orange guys, they truely are annoying, hence I consider them more harmful than the missile guys and I had to change their color accordingly (they were the yellow guys before). However, they're pretty easy to kill with the special weapon, either time or gravity. There's even one orange guy in a ice level who was carefully placed under a ceiling-slope so the gravity attack would send him down the water. :)

As for the crouch, you're totally right. I almost never use it in game (I love to do jump + gravity attacks) so I didn't really notice the issues. There's only one shroom where I do some tight timing kill, it's the last red one in the last level.
    Speaking of gravity weapon, I encountered a bug with that, twice but in two different places. I had moved over an orange shroom and activated the gravity weapon. He flies up. Then normally he would crash on the ground, exactly where I stand, and fly up again. But when he was just about to land, The game quit because of an unexpected error.

Oh nice bug! :ohmy: I didn't get this one, I'll look into it. If you have a repro I'm interested! :)
    Also I have a typo to report (ATTENTION HUGE SPOILER!)
    In the very last story bit, it says "return to my people a hero" instead of "as a hero"

I just checked and apparently it's valid English and makes it more epic sounding. :)
    And another little bug, too. Sometimes when you're crouched and you release the down arrow button, the mushroom stays crouched.

Again, if you have a repro, I'm interested. I'll try to see if I can find it on my own till then.
    And a suggestion for the scoring system: to take into account the number of lives spent trying to beat a level. Just a bonus when no life is lost would be great, like you did for no damage taken.

You're totally right. I'll add this pretty soon! :)
    Anyway, once again, congrats on the great game = D

Thanks again, I'm very happy you enjoyed it! I posted the game on GameJolt, I'll see if people will play it or not and how they'll rate it.
    ekerik wrote:
    Played around with the latest alpha, and it looks really good. It's really fun to see how fast a game can be developed with orx. I guess what takes time now is to create all the assets, i.e. the boring stuff :).

Oh and Blarg, your level is ridiculously hard :D.
    I thought it was really hard too, especially after iarwain had replaced my crashing green mushrooms with purple ones. When you use the special weapons it's not that hard anymore. I had a lot of fun sending these purple shrooms back from where they came xD. As for the other level with the huge player mushroom (which is maybe the one you were talking about), well while doing it, I kept decreasing the max hp of the huge shroom as I was getting better and better at beating the level. Now I find it pretty easy =P.
    [/quote]

Erm, yes, my bad! ^^ I had to add purple mushrooms so they wouldn't die falling, but in counterpart, I added the special weapon for this level as it wasn't there originally. Hope you don't mind! Of course, if you want to make any modification on the levels, I'll update the archive! :)
    As for the missile/fireball fest, I must have been used to the game by then as I didn't have any trouble going through it! ^^
  • edited January 2010
    I made a change on how the gravity weapon is handled. It might fix an issue smchronos reported but I don't think it'll fix the crashes you've been experiencing, Blarg. Anyway, I updated the archive.
  • edited January 2010
    Sounds great will have to download and try it! You sure have put alot of time into this.

EDIT!:

Just tried it, in lvl 1 i try to shoot the guy(starts the same way) and unable to defend myself is something wrong with the game or is that how you designed it?
  • edited January 2010
    Thanks for trying it, milleja46!

If you look at the readme.txt and at the pause menu, I explain a few things about the design:

The only way to not get hurt is either dodging by jumping (or later with the time & gravity weapon) or by crouching.
    As for the first guy, if you don't get past the tree, he won't see you even if you shoot at him. It's a challenge platformer, you'll have to find the right strategies for the different enemies. :)
  • edited January 2010
    Never mind, i didn't see that you changed the key for attacking. :blush: :blush:
  • edited January 2010
    The new screenshots are impressive! I did not read the thread; who made the great graphics?
  • edited January 2010
    Graphics were made by people from the TIGSource community for the Assemblee compo, part 1.
    There are most detailed info in Mushroom Stew's archive in the Credits.txt file. :)
  • edited February 2010
    It looks like Mushroom Stew got 5 votes, which wasn't bad. I think the average was anywhere from 5 to 15 votes with the top five having 50-70 votes. Still, at least Mushroom Stew got some interest and helped to promote Orx!
  • edited February 2010
    I know at least the source of 3 of the votes, so I'm not sure Mushroom Stew did a good work of advertising Orx! ;) But anyway, it was fun doing it and it was a good proof of concept for Scroll.

Not mentioning the fact I could add some screenshots to the website. :)